With the Fi collar, you can instantly track your dog - no matter where they are. Using GPS technology with an active GPS subscription, distance between you and your dog is not a factor when it comes to tracking. (So long as your pup is in the U.S.!) Whether your pup is with you or someone else, the Fi collar will make sure you always know what your dog is up to.
How does my dog's Fi collar connect to GPS, Bluetooth, the Fi base, and the Fi app?:
The Fi collar will always try to use the least amount of battery possible. Whenever it's in range of your Fi base or anyone with a smartphone is near your dog’s Fi collar with the Fi mobile app installed, the collar will use those connections (via Bluetooth) to locate your pup and see their activity.
Once the collar is out of range of either your Fi base or a smartphone’s Fi app and Bluetooth signal, the collar will use GPS to acquire your pup's location.
The type of mobile carrier you use won't have any effect here, as, with an active subscription, the Fi collar is acting as its own cellular device on the AT&T LTE network. Your smartphone can be on any cellular network, it does not need to be on AT&T for the Fi collar to function. (However, keep in mind, you will need a subscription for GPS use!)
The Fi collar can only connect to the AT&T network in the United States (including Puerto Rico and the USVI), so if your dog travels internationally, it will not function properly. That said, as long as your dog is located in the United States, you can check in on your pup from anywhere in the world providing you have internet access on your smartphone and a Fi subscription.
- Open the Fi App for step by step set-up of your Fi base and collar.
- Activate the Fi base.
- Place your dog's Fi collar module on the Fi base to activate.
- When the collar is activated, you will see the "Collar activated!" message and a yellow bubble around the collar + base icon within this setup step in the Fi app.
- Place the Fi collar around your pup's neck and get started tracking your dog's location and activity using the Fi app.
- For more information on sizing and fitting your dog's Fi collar, see Sizing and Fit.
Charging Your Dog's Fi Collar:
To charge your dog's Fi collar, place the collar module on the base. For full recharge time, allow 2 hours. For more information about your dog's Fi collar battery life, see Battery Life.
- The Fi base should be placed close to the space that your dog spends the most time.
- The Fi base should remain powered on at all times so it's able to maintain a Bluetooth connection to your dog's Fi collar when your dog is at home.
- This helps to extend your dog's Fi collar's battery life when your dog is near the base and, therefore, not in need of GPS tracking.
- While your dog's Fi collar is out of proximity of a Bluetooth signal (i.e. your phone or your Fi base,) the faster the battery life of the collar will drain.
- Traveling? Be sure to bring the Fi base, just in case your dog's Fi collar needs an extra charge.