The Fi base is what you'll use to charge your dog's Fi collar. Additionally, it acts similarly to a Safe Zone - this way, you'll know when your dog is safe and sound.
The Fi base helps extend battery life of the Fi collar when its nearby- preserving battery for times when GPS tracking is needed. For more information about your dog's Fi collar battery life, see Battery Life.
It's important for overall, proper functioning of your Fi system that the charging base stays connected to wifi, plugged in, and in the area where your dog spends the most time. This will ensure the collar knows when it's at home vs away from home and that you receive timely notifications when your dog leaves your home's Safe Zone.
- Open the Fi App for step by step set-up of your Fi base and collar.
- Plug in the base - connect the USB power adapter to the base via the USB charging cable, then plug the power adapter into a power outlet.
- When your Fi base is powered, it is activated - you will see the "Base activated!" message and yellow bubble around the base icon within this setup step in the app.
- Choose a network to connect your Fi base to wi-fi.
- Note: The Fi base only connects to 2.4GH wi-fi networks.
- Note: If your wifi is not appearing in the list of available networks:
- Ensure your network is not "hidden."
- Ensure other devices are connected to your wifi network. If not, restart your wifi router.
- Toggle your iOS or Android device's Bluetooth off, wait 10 seconds, and then toggle on again.
- Restart your iOS or Android device.
- Place your dog's Fi collar module on the Fi base to activate it.
- When your dog's Fi collar module is attached to the base for the first time, it is activated - you will see the "Collar activated!" message and a yellow bubble around the collar + base icon within this setup step in the Fi app.
Open the Fi app and look for a wifi connection. Tap the ‘Menu’ button in the upper left hand corner. If your pup’s collar is within range and connected to the charging base via Bluetooth, you’ll see a wifi icon to the right of your dog’s name.
If your dog’s collar is connected to your smartphone via Bluetooth, you’ll see a solid blue circle containing your first initial to the right of to your dog's name.
See step 4 above. Still having wifi connectivity issues with your Fi base? See Troubleshooting > Fi Base.
Charging Your Dog's Fi Collar:
To charge your dog's Fi collar, place the collar module on the base. You’ll notice the LED light on the module pulse blue as the collar charges. When fully charged, the LED light will remain blue and stop pulsing. For full recharge time, allow 2 hours.
Editing Name or Network Connection Associated With Your Base:
To edit the name or network connection linked to your Fi base:
- Select "Settings"
- Select "Base"
- Tap the name of the base you'd like to edit
- Edit Name or Network of your base, as needed - OR select "Unlink from account" to disconnect the base from your Fi account
- The Fi base should be placed close to the space that your dog spends the most time wearing the Fi collar and not too far from your wifi router.
- The Fi base should remain powered on at all times so it's able to maintain a Bluetooth connection to your dog's Fi collar when your dog is at home.
- Keep in mind, the Bluetooth range is approximately 50 meters with a clear line of sight (i.e. without walls.)
- This helps to extend your dog's Fi collar's battery life when your dog is near the base and, therefore, not in need of GPS tracking.
- While your dog's Fi collar is out of proximity of a Bluetooth signal (i.e. your phone or your Fi base,) the faster the battery life of the collar will drain.
- Traveling? Be sure to bring the Fi base, just in case your dog's Fi collar needs an extra charge.