Having good, stable Fi App connectivity is paramount to the overall Fi system being accurate and your Fi Collar battery life lasting for as long as possible.
The Fi App is your command center, where you can see your dog's location, activity, collar settings, and it also acts as an additional Bluetooth pairing for your pup's collar.
GPS signal is not reliable indoors, and as such when your dog is inside the Fi system needs to rely on your Fi App & Fi Base to confirm that your dog is sound and safe. Fi Series 2 customer can also use WiFi, see: Understanding WiFi Connectivity & Coverage
To view whether the collar is connected to a mobile device, login to the Fi App and click 'Live'
- Blue circle with your initial: your pup is connected to your mobile device
- Circle with a blue outline, and other letter within: your pup is connected to the mobile device of another owner
The collar should connect via the Fi App, in the following situations:
- You/or another owner are indoors, with your pup, away from a Fi Base. The Fi app is open, running in the background.
- You/or another owner are outdoors, on a walk, or your dog is within eye sight. The Fi app is open, running in the background.
Please note: The collar can only connect to one source at a time, and the collar will not switch from WiFi, Fi Base or from one phone, to another phone, until the connection is broken.
If your Fi collar and smartphone do not seem to be syncing properly, see the steps below:
- Open the Fi app and check how the collar is currently connected
- Tap the ‘Live’ button
- Tap the arrow on the top right
- From your pet's card, Note the icon on the top right of your pup's card
- Fi Base : your pup is connected to the Fi base (This is the ideal state indoors, within a safe zone. To break this connection, you will either need to travel away from the base's range, or unplug the base.)
- Blue circle with your initial: your pup is connected to your mobile device (Your phone has paired correctly.)
- Circle with a blue outline, and other letter within: your pup is connected to the mobile device of another owner (To break this connection, you can ask the other owner to turn off their blue tooth for a few moments, the collar will search for a new connection, and if your Fi App is running and you are near the collar, it will connect to your phone.)
- Cell phone bars: your pup is connected to LTE (The collar should prefer your phone, over LTE, continue troubleshooting steps below.)
- WiFi bars (Series 2 only): your pup is connected to WiFi
- Exit the full map screen by tapping the back button on the bottom left
- To proceed with trouble shooting:
- Ensure your dog's Fi collar is charged. If your dog's Fi collar is not sufficiently charged, place it on your Fi base to charge
- Be in close proximity to your Fi collar. Holding your smartphone, stand next to your dog's Fi collar with your Fi app opened.
- Toggle Bluetooth on/off to reset the connection to your smart phone: Once Bluetooth is turned off, the Fi App will give you an error, toggle Bluetooth back on
- Ensure Airplane Mode is disabled on your smartphone. Check that Airplane Mode is toggled off.
- Reset the Fi app. Force close and reopen the Fi app.
- Restart your smartphone. Reboot your device.