The Fi collar will always try to use the least amount of battery possible. Whenever it's in range of your WiFi or a smartphone belonging to a designated owner with the Fi mobile app installed, and running, the collar will use those connections (via Bluetooth) to locate your pup and display their activity. See: How to improve Fi App Mobile Connectivity
Once the collar is out of range of either your base, Fi app (bluetooth signal), or WiFI (Series 2 customers can also connect to WiFi), the collar will use GPS to acquire your pup's location. It is extremely important that the Fi Collar only connect to LTE/GPS outdoors, as GPS it not reliable indoors. In order to achieve the longest battery life, it is also essential GPS is only used when needed (when you are apart from your dog, and they are outdoors.)
To access GPS, you will need a Fi GPS/LTE Subscription, which gives you access to the full capabilities of your dog's Fi collar - allowing Fi for remote access to your dog's location and activity.
If your pup is lost, Lost Dog Mode will rely on GPS/LTE and we recommend becoming familiar with the different connection states of your pup's Fi collar, and coverage in your area. See: Testing Lost Dog Mode
Testing Fi Collar GPS/LTE Reports In App
The best way to truly understand GPS coverage in your area is to do some testing, and we've built a function just for that! To test GPS:
- Go outside, GPS/LTE will not be accurate indoors.
- Open your Fi App
- Tap 'Live'
- Tap your pup's pet card
- Tap your pup's photo
- Ensure your pup's Fi collar is connected to your mobile device. In the Live menu, you will see:
- Blue circle with your initial with your dog's location: This means your pup is connected to your mobile device
- For trouble shooting mobile connectivity see: How to improve Fi App Mobile Connectivity
- Exit the full map screen by tapping the back button on the bottom left
- Exit the map by taping the arrow on the bottom left
- Tap your pup's name in the lower right hand corner
- Tap Menu (three stacked lines on the upper right hand corner)
- Tap "System Diagnostics"
- Choose the collar you want to test, and tap the pet's image to enter "Diagnostic Mode"
- Scroll to the bottom of the Diagnostic Report to find, and tap "Test GPS & LTE"
- Tap "Start Test"
- If your test is successful, you will see a result in "Latest GPS/LTE Report" with the location of your pup's collar during the test. If your pup were lost, this is where we'd report their location. If your test is unsuccessful, see: Infrequent & Inaccurate LTE/GPS Location Reports
Repeat this test around your neighborhood, or areas you know your pup escapes to often.