With Fi, you can track your pup anywhere they go! To do so, the Fi Collar requires access to different sources (Fi Base, Fi App & GPS), and ensuring proper set up in different situations is key. This guide will provide tips for different scenarios you might encounter.
When the Fi collar is indoors, GPS is not reliable and should not be used. Fun fact, GPS stands for Global Positioning System, this is a constellation of satellites that fly in medium Earth orbit, and as such GPS is most accurate under open sky. While it is possible to get a report that is accurate indoors, this is rarely the case. At home you’ve set up a perfect Fi system- and we’ll want to recreate this when you are apart from your pup or traveling away from home. Our recommendations:
Away from Home & Owner, Mostly indoors with (Friend / Family)
- Set up a Safe Zone. See: Safe Zones + Escape Alerts
- Set up a base
- You can either:
- Bring your pup’s Fi Base from home, and reconfigure to your pup’s new location. You’ll need to update wifi and set the location from within the Base menu.
- Buy an additional Fi Base, we recommend this if your pup is often in an indoor location away from home (such as office, or a friend/relative.) Additional Fi Bases are $39 and can be purchased here.
- Add as an owner for walk tracking. Just let your pup’s caretaker know they’ll want to keep the Fi App running in the background. See: Adding/Removing Multiple Owners
Day Care / Boarding / Kennels
We recommend, all the steps above, and in addition:
- Understand your pups’ day to day and work with trusted professionals. If your pup is in a boarding facility where you cannot set up a Fi Base, or add a Fi Owner to the Fi App, and indoors, GPS will be unreliable, and the collar will drain a lot of battery quickly trying to find a source to connect to. We recommend understanding your pup’s day to day activity when they are away from you, and how you would be informed in the case of an escape, or something going wrong. If you have questions about the performance you will experience with a certain set up- reach out to email@example.com.
Traveling together with Owner
- Set up a Safe Zone at any location you’ll be at for a day or more, you can have unlimited safe zones, quick to set up, and easy to delete. See: Safe Zones + Escape Alerts
- Set up a base. Bring your pup’s Fi Base during travel, you’ll need this to turn off the Fi Collar (may be required for some flight, see: Turning Off + Resetting the Fi Module ), charging and proper tracking at your new location. If you prefer to have a travel base, and keep your at home set up, additional Fi Bases are $39 and can be purchased here.
- Continue to follow Fi best practices: Keep the Fi app running in the background, and we’ll keep track of your pup’s walks and adventures.