The below step-by-step guide is for first time users and has instructions to follow once your Fi Collar Kit arrives.
If you have previously used Fi and created a dog profile, you will need to follow steps to activate a Fi Collar, rather than follow the below steps for first time setup. See: How Do I Activate a Replacement Fi Collar?
Here Is What You Need to Set Up Your Fi Collar
Your Fi Collar Kit needs to be physically with you (Fi Collar, Fi Band, and Fi Base).
A mobile device that meets our minimum requirements:
Android 6.0+ aka Android M or newer
iPhone - iOS 14 ( iPhone 6, 6+ and higher, including iPhone SE 1st generation)
Access to a Wi-Fi Network.
- Must be a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi Network
For Series 3 Collars
To charge or activate your collar, the module must sit in the indention on the top side of your Fi Base. The bottom of the Fi Base shows the Fi Logo. If you set your collar on the bottom of the base, it will not charge or activate properly.
Steps to Set Up Your Fi Collar
- Download the Fi App on your smartphone.
- After you download the Fi App to your smartphone, tap Sign In.
- Email: An account was created for you at checkout when you purchased your Fi Collar. You will need to use the same email address you used to purchase your Fi Collar, which will be the email address where your Fi receipt was sent.
- Password: During the check out flow, you created a password. If you don't recall the password you created, tap I forgot my password, and we'll send you a link to reset your password.
- If you'd prefer to use a different email, or if you received Fi as a gift, open the Fi App on your phone and simply tap Get Started. Enter the email you'd like to use and set a password.
- For your password, you'll need to meet the minimum requirement of 8 characters.
- Once you have downloaded the Fi App and logged into your account, the app has step-by-step instructions to continue setting up your Fi Collar.
- Enter your phone number or skip.
- Next, it will take you to Dog Profile Setup.
- Enter your dog's name.
- Specify breed type.
- If your dog is a mixed breed, tap Mix and then choose the breed that best represents your dog.
- Enter your dog's birthday (or adoption date).
- Specify your dog's gender and weight.
- Select or take a photo of your dog from your phone's camera, gallery, or Instagram (you can skip this step, by tapping Later in the top right corner).
- Please note: selecting Instagram will also link your Instagram account to your Fi Profile, and your handle will be visible in rankings to other Fi users.
- Next, we need to activate your Fi Base. Plug in your Fi Base (we recommend a spot where your dog spends a lot of their time, but is also within range of your Wi-Fi network).
- In the app, you'll see a "loading screen" while the app scans for your base.
- Once the base is configured, the app will ask you to connect to Wi-Fi.
- Tap Continue to choose a Wi-Fi network.
- Note: The Fi Base only connects to 2.4GH Wi-Fi networks.
- If you need a MAC address to access your Wi-Fi network, it will be shown in the Fi App above Wi-Fi Networks to choose from. See: Where Can I Find My Mac Address for My Fi Collar or Base?
- Tap your Wi-Fi network.
- Enter your network's Wi-Fi password in Join Network.
- Tap Continue to connect to the network.
- Once connected, you'll need to set up your Safe Zone.
- The app will auto fill an address, but you can click into the address to update or move around the map.
- You can adjust the circle or select the polygon tool to make your safe zone more specific. For further detail on the circle and polygon tool, see: How Do I Setup and Edit a Safe Zone?
- Please note, the minimum size is 60 feet.
- Tap Save to set your Safe Zone.
- Name your Safe Zone, and then tap Next.
- We recommend naming it something obvious, like Home, Office, Dog Sitter Home.
- The Fi App will say Base Configured.
- Next, you will need to activate your Fi Collar.
- Place your Fi Collar on your base.
- Once your Fi Collar is activated, the app will say You're all Set!
- You can now share your dog's information with others. If you want to share an invite with anyone you want to access your dog's information, tap Continue. You can also tap Skip.
- Next, you are given the option to share your personalized referral code. By tapping Connect Contacts, you can share your referral code, which rewards you and the person you share it with. See: What is Fi's Referral Program?
- Next, the app will invite you to follow Fi on social media, so you can stay up to date with the latest features and win free treats. Tap Follow or Later in the top right corner.
- Setup is now complete!
- Place the Fi Collar on your dog and start tracking your dog's location and activity using the Fi App.
- We highly suggest reviewing different articles within our help center to help familiarize yourself with your Fi Collar and Fi App! See our Get Started section.
If you signed up for a Fi GPS/LTE Subscription/Membership trial during check out, this will automatically be applied to the collar. No further action is needed. You'll receive an email confirming your activation.
- For Series 2, if you did not elect a trial at check out, you can set up a GPS/LTE-M account for the collar by tapping the Rank Tab. You'll see an option to upgrade to a GPS subscription now. See: How Do I Add a Fi GPS/LTE Subscription?
For multi pet households, see: How Do I Add Multiple Dogs to My Fi App?